Pedretti, the Italian contract manufacturer for the Alien pinball machine from Pinball Brothers, and partner of Planetary Pinball for producing Williams/Bally licensed parts and mods, is announcing an upgrade kit for Williams’ Funhouse. The upgrade kit is called Funhouse Rudy’s Nightmare and allows Funhouse owners to add a whole new look and game to their Funhouse pinball machine. While the upgrade kit is still pending licensor approval, Pinball Magazine has all the details on what the kit will offer.
The Rudy’s Nightmare kit contains the following:
- New speaker panel (wood and artwork)
- New 14 inch LCD HD Display
- New high-quality speakers
- Playfield mini display and artwork
- PCBs: Fast CPU and Pinsound XL
- Custom inner cabinet art blades
- Custom translite (printed on 4mm acrylic)
- Custom T-shirt (Size L) for the first 200 kits
- Completely new code
- Customized packaging
Once installed, which should be easy plug and play – no drilling required, the game will have new graphics, two color displays, new music, sound effects and voices, and new modes. The game’s playfield remains mostly the same, although the mini display will replace the mirror above the scoop. The upgrade kit will allow Funhouse owners to choose between playing the game with the original rules, music, and call-outs, or the new Rudy’s Nightmare code. When playing the original rules, the display will show the scores and text. There are no additional animations programmed (yet).
The promotional video for Rudy’s Nightmare lists the following nine modes:
- Duck Hunt
- The Evil Clones
- Hotdog Combat
- Rudy & the Monkizz
- Haunted Roller Coaster
- Don’t You Want a Balloon?
- Melt The Clone
- Evil Rudy Multiball
- Wizard Mode
While Pedretti is the initiator and manufacturer of this upgrade kit, the project is an international collaboration between quite a few pinball companies:
- Team Pinball (U.K. – game code programming)
- Fast Pinball (U.S.A. – new PCB design that runs all game code for this kit)
- PinSound (France – modified version of PinSound XL that drives the audio, the two displays and hosts and runs the complete 2.0 code engine)
- Planetary Pinball Supply (U.S.A. – licensing)
Animations and artwork are by the Italian artist Morti Morti. Zanhell, also an Italian artist, produced the new music package. Janos Kiss of Team Pinball programmed the new game code.
AndreaDM, Director of Pedretti says, “Rudy’s Nightmare will be a great kit for Funhouse owners that already own the game for several years. It brings new life to the game and a great modern look to Funhouse as well.”
Although pricing hasn’t been confirmed, Funhouse Rudy’s Nightmare will likely be priced at €2,100 / $2,200 USD. Rudy’s Nightmare will be available through the following distributors:
- Pedretti webshop (Italy, Europe)
- Free Play (Sweden, Europe)
- RS Pinball (Austria, Europe)
- Freddy’s Pinball Paradise (Germany, Europe)
- CoinTaker (U.S.A.)
- Planetary Pinball (U.S.A.)
- Mr. Pinball(Australia)
Two years ago, Pedretti agreed with Planetary Pinball to produce enhanced “2.0” upgrade kits for several System 11 pinball games. They decided to start with Funhouse, one of the most iconic games from the early ’90s. While it took two years to develop Rudy’s Nightmare, Pedretti hopes to release more System 11 titles in the future, aiming at one title per year.
For more info visit the Pedretti website or the websites of the distributors listed above (all clickable).
Update: A video of gameplay is now available: