As a potential advertiser you may be interested in the target audience of Pinball Magazine and their demographics. Most likely the Pinball Magazine readers will be:
- Mostly males, but women like pinball too
- Between 18 and 65, with a potential huge peak in the 30 – 50 age group
- Most readers are likely to have a regular job (how else can they afford such a hobby?), are in a (heterosexual) relationship, probably have a few kids still living at home, live in suburb areas, may have a garage or a special gameroom in or around their house, probably love to barbecue in the yard in the summer, drink a few beers or other (alcoholic) beverages and eat meat
- Passionate about pinball, either as a recreational player, tournament player, collector, technician, or any other variant imaginable.
- Many readers are interested in pinball and curious about its colorful history. They will visit plenty of pinball related websites, read and participate on newsgroups and forums, read (and often) collect books about pinball, read (and collect) other pinball magazines / publications
- Many readers may remember Arcades from their childhood
- Some readers may be interested in other forms of coin-up amusement like video games and/or jukeboxes
- As most readers can afford pinball machines, one can assume they’re relatively wealthy and most likely live in a large house
- A large portion of the target audience can afford to buy new-in-box pinball machines that usually have a retail-price of $4,000 or more.
- Other collectors strive to find cheap games to collect / fix / resell. They keep an eye out on (online) auctions, hoping to find a good deal
- Some collectors (but most likely a rather small percentage) can be considered true pinball hoarders: they will collect anything related to pinball. They may not be that organized and most likely have a huge need for more space
- If you’re considering to advertise shampoo: sure, that can work, but a large portion of Pinball Magazine readers may be going bald. However, if you’re interested in advertising trimmers or shavers… 😉
- As most readers are likely to own at least one pinball machine (most likely more than just one), they probably will need parts to fix their game(s) at some point. They may want to pimp their pinball machine(s). They may need products to keep their machine(s) play smooth. If you’re in that business, Pinball Magazine may be a good way to promote your products / services
- Most likely pinball players can be considered competitive in some way. That could indicate the Pinball Magazine readers are interested in attending pinball shows and/or tournaments
- In all honesty, most (male) readers will not be considered to dress fashionable. There may be a huge opportunity there 😉 Many readers may be interested in pinball related clothing merchandise, like T-shirts, caps.
Pinballnews.com (re)published a nice article by Eddie Mole about the various types of pinball enthusiasts. This article may also help you get an idea of who may read Pinball Magazine.